Space Philosopher Captain Harlock

wtf

DAMN YOU PIRATE, MAKE SENSE!

1. Schyler says:

LOL.

2. Schyler says:

LOL.

3. OGT says:

I want to read Night on the Galactic Railroad before I venture into the Leijiverse (simply because it’s one of the big inspirations), but I’m not sure I’ll be able to since no one translates the old Japanese books I want them to.

4. otou-san says:

I dunno. On one hand, I understand that desire. On the other hand, I usually don’t wait but rather work backwards (unless of course I know of the origin first).

Besides, whatever is in the book couldn’t possibly be more than the beginning of the wide and wacky world of the Leijiverse. It’s a visual experience to watch one of his shows, especially when it’s directed by Rintaro. And I think you’d enjoy it.

5. OGT says:

The book merely inspired Matsumoto Leiji, anyway; it’s apparently a super-classic children’s book in Japan, so therefore I’ve been dying to read it for at least three years now. There’s an early anime movie that’s a more-or-less faithful rendition of Night on the Galactic Railroad, but must have delicious words.

I’ll probably start with the Galaxy Express 999 movie, since that seems to be the most beloved. I think. Or something. I think all the Leijiverse is just a collection of stories that more or less have nothing to do with one another and just have recurring characters that don’t have anything to do with previous incarnations of their character. I think. Or something.

6. animekritik says:

Galaxy Express movies rock! Between Harlock and Tochiro, I’d say Tochiro is the philosopher. Harlock is the actor, and he leaves others the job of looking at his actions and building philosophies from them. Or something like that…